Expertise DescriptionI have more than 40 years of broad business experience and have held management and technical positions at a "Big Four" accounting firm for over 15 years. I have been involved with various companies and industries and have participated in a wide range of litigation consulting engagements. I have participated in numerous litigation consulting engagements which involved investigation, analysis, participation in depositions and testimony and in assisting litigators with data presentation for trial. My engagements have included analysis of various business issues, damages calculations involving business and personal issues, technical accounting issues related to public companies, corporate governance issues, and forensic accounting and analysis related to complicated business schemes. I have over 15 years experience as a financial expert witness and have testified at depositions, arbitrations, Superior Courts, before the Securities Exchange Commission, Federal Bankruptcy Court and before U.S. District Courts in the Southern Federal District of New York and Districts in California, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Maine.
Areas of Expertise
· Analysis, research, consulting and testimony regarding the validity of a business appraisal, the credentials of the appraiser and issuance of a business valuation.
· Analysis and research regarding the determination of losses in connection with age discrimination involving an executive officer of a public company who had a complicated and sophisticated pay package which included equity elements.
· Analysis, research, consulting and testimony regarding interpretation of technical accounting issues involving change of control, purchase accounting, transfer of risk and various other issues relating to senior executive employment agreements of a major public financial institution that was a significant participant in the residential sub-prime mortgage business, among other banking related businesses. Testimony also involved board of directors for breach of fiduciary duties and responsibilities.
· Analysis, research, issuance of an opinion letters and testimony regarding the determination of damages and losses in connection with three different major, complicated personal injury cases.
· Nine different cases (for both state and Federal courts) involving analysis, research, consulting, issuance of an opinion letters and testimony regarding lost profits as the result of a breach of contract for a leading national animal healthcare company (NYSE) over the last three years.
· Two different cases involving analysis, research, issuance of an opinion letters and deposition testimony regarding the determination of financial strength and ability to fund major relocations and facility construction for dealerships of Nissan of North America and Subaru of America.
· Analysis, research, consulting and testimony in the Federal District Court in Maine on behalf of the largest veterinary hospital chain in Texas.
My consulting experience includes:
· Analysis and determination of lost international profits and damages in connection with a patent infringement of an antibiotic drug.
· Performed forensic accounting, operational analysis and testimony regarding a major real estate development company in connection with the non-repayment of a loan from an employee pension plan.
· Performed a forensic accounting and financial analysis with regard to a major loan and kiting scheme involving employees for a commercial bank. Also, assisted litigators with presentation of data for the trial.
· Performed a cost study of various military airport base programs for a major defense contractor.
· Analysis and determination of damages in connection with the loss of a major customer following an acquisition.
I began my career in the audit department of a "Big Four" accounting firm. I became a Partner in the Firm in 1982 and held management and technical positions in a career at the Firm extending over nineteen years. During my career, I participated in numerous litigation consulting engagements which involved investigation, analysis, participation in depositions and testimony and in assisting litigators with data presentation for trial. In addition, I have served a broad range of national and multi-national clients in many different industries and regularly counseled senior management, audit committees and boards of directors on public company matters, acquisitions and divestitures, financial structures and other matters.
Following my career at the firm, I joined a client that was a private merchant banking firm engaged in the purchase of niche companies in partnership with the management of those companies. I then expanded my operating experience when I became the COO and a principal in a small, rapidly growing manufacturing company.
In 1994, I became vice president of corporate development for a NYSE company that served the electronics and telecommunications industries as a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of value-added, engineered solutions to enclose, cool and carry electronic equipment. My responsibilities included corporate-wide strategic planning, strategic marketing, search and completion of acquisitions, joint ventures and other business relationships, implementation of divestitures and the supervision of operations of a major division. During my tenure at this company, the stock price increased 250%. The company was sold and its corporate office was closed in 1999.
I have since provided litigation support, both as a consultant and an expert and have been assisting middle market companies with investment banking and financial consulting/advisory services. In addition, I participate on boards of directors for public, private and non-profit organizations.
|M.B.A.||Finance||University of Southern California|
|B.S.||Business Administration in International Business and Finance||University of Southern California|
Certified Public Accountant
Chartered Global Management Accountant
Certified Bank Director
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
California Society of Certified Public Accountants
Awards & Affiliation
Member, Board of Trustees, Chairman of the Audit Committee and Audit Committee Financial Expert of three mutual funds
Past member, Board of Directors, Chairman of the Audit Committee, Compensation Committee of a bank
Past member, Board of Trustees, Chairman of the Audit Committee and Audit Committee Financial Expert of a mutual fund
Past member, Board of Trustees, Chairman of the Board and Chairman of the Audit Committee of a mutual fund
Member, Board of Directors of a privately owned international manufacturing company
Board of Directors, Treasurer, National Association of Corporate Directors, Southern California Chapter