Expertise DescriptionI have more than 35 years of experience as a Professional Electrical Engineer and Electrical Contractor with an extensive background in electrical power and controls engineering. I have design and installation experience, as well as an extensive knowledge of the National Electrical Code and construction installation practices. This practical foundation of electrical experience was primarily gained through working in the electrical trade while owning and operating a Design Build Electrical Contracting business. My background includes electrical design, project management, cost estimating, and field construction work, which has provided a unique perspective that few engineers have today. I have provided services as an electrical engineering expert witness relating to electrical construction defects, losses or damages associated with personal injury due to electrical accidents, electrical controls, for water/wastewater, pump station, tank, or treatment plants and related causes of sewage spills or tank over filling causing flooding.
Areas of Expertise
My expert witness experience includes:
* Submersible Pump failed to dewater drywell for underground home theater causing the theater to flood when the circuit breaker tripped due to the defective pump. The alarm system failed to notify the homeowner of the pump failure and high level alarm condition.
* Electrocution of a non-skilled laborer that was connecting strings of solar panels on a solar collector farm.
* Construction Defect for 282-unit condominium project, lack of spacing between electrical boxes in fire walls, missing fire stop sealants, distribution panels that were not sealed to code, air conditioning condensers and lighting fixtures; that were improperly grounded and installed.
* During a storm and power failure, a sewer pump stations Diesel Generator failed to continue running due to running out of fuel when the day tank failed to fill after an overloaded circuit tripped. The SCADA System was not configured to alarm on a low fuel alarm of the day tank. The maintenance crew was unable to fill the day tank by using another standby generator. The sewage backed up in the sewer main and overflowed a manhole, this overflow allowed the sewage to run through the basement and into Lake Tahoe.
* A 10,000 SF, 14-million-dollar house was flipped by investors, the Electricians had repaired the electrical system yet there were many inadequate repairs that were made that did not meet the National Electrical Code requirements. There are over 500 recessed light fixtures installed in the home, the fixtures were overheating when left on for a significant length of time and the paper labels were burning. I accessed the wiring repairs and the severity of the light fixture malfunction and advised the wealthy client regarding repairs.
* Significant shock caused by the plaintiff when he stuck his finger in a fluorescent light fixture socket while the fixture was powered on. The fingers and forearm were involved in the shock area.
* During a storm an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) failed to start the Standby Generator during a power outage, the Sewage Pump Station overflowed into the flood water due to no power. I consulted with the Electrical Engineers E&O carrier. The Electrical Engineer had designed the last three renovations over a 12-year period and was being sued. The electrical renovations included motor controllers, ATS, generator, and control system replacements.
* Electrical construction defect case at a winery within 11 years after the winery was completed. Problems uncovered included undersized conduits with too many conductors installed. Conductors in panelboards that were installed improperly when the panelboards were used as chases. Overfilled wireways that could lead to overheating and failure of the conductors.
My consulting experience includes:
* Electrical design of conveyor system controls
* Electrical design of Water and Wastewater treatment plant and pump stations
* Electrical design of Energy Management Systems
* Lighting design for commercial offices, industrial warehouses, ant outside lighting
* Electrical design of Motor Control Systems for industrial pumps and motors
* Electrical design of Programmable Logic Control Systems (PLC) for the water wastewater market place.
* Electrical design of Fiber optic patch and termination panels in the communications network for SCADA systems.
My professional experience includes being an Independent Consulting Electrical Engineer, with prior experience as the Owner of an electrical contracting firm, Investment Broker, Outside Salesperson of heating ventilation, President of an energy company, Owner of a control systems design firm, and Electrical Engineer.
I am a Licensed Electrical Engineer in the State of California, I specialize in Industrial Control Systems. Recently I was identified as the Electrical Expert for an Auto V. Pedestrian, non-fatal, cross walk case. The cross walk flashing lights were to be automatically turned on anytime a pedestrian was in the crosswalk. The microwave sensors failed to consistently recognize the pedestrian in the crosswalk, hence the flashing beacon had intermittent operation and was witness to not consistently turn on when a pedestrian was in the crosswalk. When reviewing the site and the installation contract documents, I found that a third microwave sensor was shown on the contract drawing but was missing from the site now. There were no deductive change orders removing the third microwave sensor from the construction. It was not determined if the microwave sensor had been removed or never installed.
|B.S.||Electrical Engineering||Healds Engineering College||San Francisco|
California Professional Engineer (Electrical)
Hawaii Professional Engineer (Electrical)
California Contractor (Electrical C-10)
Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant, (CFLC) by FEWA
Senior Member of IEEE
Awards & Affiliation
Institute of Electrical Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA)
Institute of Electrical Electronic Engineers