ForensisGroup, the nation’s premier expert witness referral company, is proud to announce its Law Student Essay Competition. This competition is intended to encourage new ideas around issues related to expert witnesses. Participants will write an essay exploring original use-cases about how expert witnesses can help jurors to understand technical issues in complex cases or explore some lessons that can be gleaned from case studies in which expert witnesses helped jurors to understand complex issues during litigation.
ForensisGroup has been the single most trusted name in expert witness referral for more than 20 years, having placed highly qualified experts in over 10,000 cases. Many of the nation’s top law firms, insurance companies, government entities and other public and private institutions have relied on ForensisGroup to provide first-rate consultants and expert witnesses across a wide range of disciplines. Expert witnesses never pay to join ForensisGroup’s network. Instead, the company selects their witnesses solely based on their experience, education, track record and feedback from clients. It is this dedication to quality that makes ForensisGroup the expert of experts.
ForensisGroup is offering a monetary prize of $1,000 for the winning essay. ForensisGroup will publish all submissions complying with the eligibility criteria on their website.
Essay Topic: The Use of Expert Witnesses to Help Jurors Understand Technical Issues in Complex Cases
Many of today’s complex litigation cases involve highly technical issues that, without expert guidance, average jurors would not be able to adequately comprehend. That’s why the right expert or team of experts has the power to make or break a litigation case. In this essay, describe how expert witnesses can help jurors to better understand cases. Feel free to explore original ideas of how experts can add value in complex cases. Please cite sources in making your argument.
Submissions are to be made by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Student Essay Competition” in the subject line. Submit your essay by May 31, 2014 at 11:59pm with the essay in Word format only. On the first page, be sure to include your name, law school, email address and telephone number.
The winning essay will be judged based on content, style and originality. Judges are looking for writing that is clear, articulate and logically constructed. The winning essay will demonstrate an outstanding grasp of how expert witnesses can impact litigation. Judges are highly qualified scholars with extensive knowledge of litigation. Names will be removed from the essay prior to being submitted to the judges. Judges will have no knowledge of names or personal information until after a winner has been chosen and the results of the competition have been finalized.
- Your essay must be written in English.
- All pages should be numbered consecutively.
- Essay must not be longer than 1,000 words in length (including footnotes and endnotes).
- ForensisGroup reserves the right to extend competition deadlines.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a law school.
- Essays must be solely the work of the author. Plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
- Essays must not infringe on any third-party rights or intellectual property of any organization, person or company. By submitting an essay, you agree to indemnify ForensisGroup for any claim, demand, judgment, or other allegation arising from possible violation of a party’s copyright, trademark, or other legally protected interest in any way in the applicant’s essay.
- Judge’s decisions are final. Employees and their immediate families are not eligible to participate in this competition.
- All submissions become the property of ForensisGroup.
- ForensisGroup and affiliated companies will have a non-exclusive, transferable license for the duration of the copyright terms in all jurisdictions where the copyright is valid for the remainder of the copyright term and for any remaining copyrights, which may be retained by the author.
- Authors will disclaim any royalties from ForensisGroup and its affiliates.
- The winner of the competition will be notified by June 30, 2014.
- The winner will be solely responsible for any local, state or federal taxes in relation to their financial winnings.